February 4, 2011

Year of the Rabbit!











Gung Hay Fat Choy (!) and Welcome to The Year of the [Metal] Rabbit in the Chinese Lunar Calendar. A quick internet search tells me that, "The Rabbit is divided into subcategories: metal (this year's), fire, water, wood and earth. The Color is white and the Rabbit is the fourth animal in the twelve-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac. It is a symbol of elegance, mercy and peace. People born in The Year of the Rabbit tend to be financially lucky yet careful with money." Lastly, "The Rabbit Year is said to be fortunate and that almost everything will come more easily in 2011. Metal Rabbit promises to bring peace, joy, calmness and many happy moments." All sounds very good to me. So where am I going with this? you wonder. Well, back to Miffy (above). I've seen her mug for years and was curious to know where she came from. I feel so happy to discover that her creator is the Dutch Designer (and author), Mr. Dick Bruna. Not just a one-trick pony, he is a fantastic graphic designer and having a look at the montage below, I feel like I just met an old pen-pal. I've seen his other work for years, but never ever would have connected him to the little x-mouthed Rabbit above. Lucky Me is right!

And I wouldn't be me without a plug. If you are considering the perfect New Year's Gift for your budding artists and writers, then please have a look at my Field Guide To Fun here (scroll down a bit). xo Victoria

No comments: