June 6, 2013

Do the Hustle


















Hello World!
It's been a few months, and this apparently seems to be my cycle.
Perhaps you've seen it from up-close or even afar: I get really busy, and then I work. There's a flurry of paper and presses, and then I meet deadlines. When I'm done, I am greeted with perhaps a few days in between projects. This is the point where I get to sit still and panic. I show up back here. One would think that after 10+ years of doing this, I would accept that this too, is part of my cycle.

I regroup, focus, think about where my work has been, and where it's headed. When in doubt, I make things (see above). I remain hungry.

Where am I going with all of this? With the passing of Spring, comes a new mindset. Where is my business going? What are my goals? Who cares? I try not to focus on the latter too much, but I am going to repost something that I've stumbled across on the internets that I found to be incredibly inspiring.

Not pictures or graphics, or a how-to, per say, but a Ted Talks featuring my new hero, Dr. BrenĂ© Brown. Have you seen it? She is so smart, so human, and frankly, so incredibly brave. As a business owner and a Mother, I can SO relate to what she is saying. What is it about vulnerability that is so difficult?

Here is the link, and I hope that all of you make some time to watch it:
http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

I watched it and am inspired. I like to work. I want to work. I have had some very lucky breaks in this world in regards to people having found me thus far.  I have had my work published, and received emails from people who make me quietly freakout! with joy. Yet I work by myself. I have a small studio and I don't have a team of people that work for me. But this is what I do.

Here's the rub, and the very important fact: I can only do this if I have people who want my work. So—how do I do this?

In the spirit of Ms. Brown, this is how: I ask.

So, here is my plea to you, Universe: I am hoping to find some new people to work with. 

Benefits to you are that I work one-on-one with my clients. I manage and handle every aspect of our project together—just you and me! I am a craftsperson, and a very fine one at that. With many years of experience, I am quick to see if your design (if you are creating this) will work, and the best way to make it happen. If I am designing our project, I will do so in a professional, yet enjoyable manner.

We are allies in this, and we will make something beautiful!

Benefits to me are that I get to continue to do what I love. Yes, I am officially dancing here (click).

If you have made it this far, thank you! I truly appreciate your interest in my work, my blog, and my current thoughts. If you see the above promotional piece, and think you'd love to hold it in your dear hands, please leave a comment and send me an email (victoria[at]milkfedpress[dot]com) with your mailing address, and it's yours.

Thank you, Universe! xo Victoria

1 comment:

THEE DUCHESS SATURDAY said...

Dear Victoria,
Love, love, love your letterpress creations!
I am cur renting composing a poetry manuscript which I would love to have published into a letterpress chapbook. Do you offer that service?
I will send you a follow up email!
Thank you for your beautiful website!
Truly inspiring!
Yours most sincerely, Camille Hurlburt